The Çapanoğlu (Grand) Mosque is one of the important examples in Anatolia carrying Turkish architectural features that emerged under European influence during the Ottoman Empire. The interior and exterior sections of the structure were built at two different dates. The inner section of the mosque was built in 1779, while the outer section was built in 1795. The mosque with its thin minaret, high domed cupola and towers on the corners can be seen from all over the city and is one of the symbolic structures of Yozgat.
Yozgat High School
The High School (Yozgat Lisesi) is one of the remarkable buildings in the city centre. The entire two-storey building, except its basement, is made of yellow cut stone. Its architect is unknown, because the inscriptions on it were scraped off.
The Clock Tower
This imposing and centuries-old tower in the city centre of Yozgat is one of the symbols of the city. Including its ground floor and the storey with the bells, the building consists of seven storeys. It was built in 1908 from yellow cut stone. Each façade has separate clocks. The clock-bells ring at the beginning of every hour and can be heard all over the city.
The building was first constructed in the 19th century as a private mansion and later served as Art School for Girls and regie. Converted into a museum in 1985, Yozgat Museum showcases the rich history of the city through the archaeological and ethnographic artefacts. The building itself is impressive with its typical Ottoman architecture and intricate hand-drawn ornaments adorning the interior.
Although it was estimated that the ancient city was founded by the Medes during the Iron Age in 600 BCE, the discovery of Phrygian inscriptions during the excavations in 2003 suggests that the city may have been a Phrygian settlement. The city walls, which are about seven kilometres long, enclose a residential area of 2.5 square kilometres. This place is thought to be the place of the city Pteria which is mentioned in the ancient sources. In 547 BCE, the city was taken over by the Persians, its people were captured, the city was burned down and its walls were destroyed. Additionally, the residential area of the city includes public structures and civil building areas, and an advanced water harvest and distribution system.
Tavium Ancient City
Although traces of Hittite and Phrygian settlements were seen in Tavium, the original settlement took place between the third century and the first century BCE during the Galatians.
Tavium was founded during the 280s BCE by the Trocmii branch of the people called Galatians, who came from the Balkans to Anatolia. The city became the commercial centre and capital of the Central Anatolia Region, where the Trocmii settled around the Central Kızılırmak area.
Çeşka Underground City
Artefacts discovered in the region have proved that the earliest known settlements in the region goes back to 3.000 BCE. Large and small rock-carved tombs were found at the top of the underground city. Monochrome and unglazed Roman, Eastern Roman and Phrygian ceramics were discovered at the foot of the hill.
Inscriptions show that the church was built in 1862. While the front-façade of the church is made of cut stone the other façades are made of cut marble; and the front has a round arched entrance. There are 11 Greek inscriptions above the entrance door and two under the frame. Crucifixes and geometric decorations are seen on the stucco in the interior of the church.
Old Akdağ Prison (Tiftik Han)
The building is one of the most aesthetic and remarkable buildings in the city. Although the date of the construction is unknown, it is thought that the building, also known as Tiftik Han, was initially used as a church before being converted into an inn (han). The building was later used as a prison. The structure was built in a rectangular form and has two entrances, one in the front and one in the rear. The old prison is one of the 14 historical buildings in the district. It has been restored and opened as Akmağdeni Public Library.
The inscriptions on the pediment states that the mansion was built in 1883. It is known that Atatürk, the founder of Republic of Türkiye, stayed here on his first visit to city of Yozgat, and that the building was later used as the Governor’s Mansion for a long time. The embroidery and fine woodwork on yellow stone that resembles limestone, and the decoration and ornamentation on the ceiling make this mansion one of the most beautiful buildings in the city.
Sorgun Karakız and Kazankaya Hittite Sculpture Workshops
About 500 m to the Karakız Municipality Building, there was found a statue of a lion and numerous finished and unfinished sculpted basalt blocks, indicating that the site was used as a quarry and stone workshop during Hittite Period. About one kilometre on the south of the Karakız - Kadışehri Road, at the Kazankaya locality, a stone-carved cistern of two meters diameter, as well as semi-processed basalt stones were found.
Built in 1801, Başçavuş Mosque is a complex consisting of a bath (Turkish hammam), fountain and mosque. The mosque is mesmerizing with its hand-drawn ornaments and paintings depicting mosques, bridges, fountains natural and floral motifs on the walls. Due to its architectural features, the building is one of the very few places in the province that is used as a place of worship until today.
Church in the Garipler Village of Sorgun District
The roof of the church in the Garipler Village is partially ruined. Yet all its walls are intact, except for the upper part of one corner. The walls of the church have cross figures, mosque ornaments and a school name.
Tomb of Şah Sultan Hatun
The Şah Sultan Hatun Tomb is one of the most important examples of tombs with an Iwan in Anatolia. There are many gravestones around the tomb, with old dates on them. The tomb was fenced off and thus protected until today without much damage. Overall the tomb has a very new and good appearance, and contains the symbolic sarcophagus of Dulkadir Şahruh Bey’s wife Şah Sultan.
Akdağmadeni Postal Building
Initially the building was built as a store, and transformed to a postal building (PTT Binası). The building can be described as a characteristic and beautiful structure, especially with regards to its front façade.
Hamidiye Fountain with Clock
The fountain is located on the outer wall of the eastern cemetery of the Çapanoğlu Mosque. The Fountain with the Clock was built on the occasion of the 25th anniversary of Sultan Abdul Hamid II’s accession to the throne in 1900. On the lower part of the clock, there is the Coat of Arms of the Ottoman Empire showing the crossed swords, the flags, the scales and the star and the crescent as symbols of justice, equality and freedom. The fountain is one of the most beautifully ornamented fountains in Anatolia.
Sarıkaya Thermal Springs (Kral Kızı Hamamı)
The Sarıkaya Roman Bath, or Kral Kızı Hamamı (King’s Daughter’s Bath) was included in the UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List in 2018. It is located in the Kaplıcalar Mahallesi (meaning Thermal Springs Neighbourhood) in the Sarıkaya district. The ancient name of the Sarıkaya Roman Bath, which is within the spa facilities, was Basilica Therma (Aqua Sarvenae) during Roman times. There are also common legends related to the Sarıkaya Thermal Springs, known as the Roma Kral Kızı Hamamı (Roman King’s Daughter’s Bath).
Çapanoğlu Çifte (Çarşı) Hamamı (Bath)
This bathhouse, located in the city centre, has no inscription. The bath has separate sections for men and women. It is understood that the two parts were made on separate dates due to their structural differences. The baths are interconnected in “L”-shape. The Çapanoğlu Çifte Hamamı is actively used.